Urban zoos are not what they used to be. Gone are the days of monkey bars, animal cages, and dirty water. These days, many urban zoos offer a variety of activities that will keep you entertained for hours on end.
In this blog post, we’ll give you 26 tips on how to have the best visit ever at your local zoo in order to ensure that you’re getting the most out of your time and money spent there.
Tips on Having The Best Visit Ever at Your Local Zoo
1) Take advantage of any special offers or discounts. Many zoos run promotions such as free admission for children under a certain age so be sure to check their website or social media pages ahead of time.
2) Make a list of the animals that you want to see before going, as this will help you stay focused on your goal. – Don’t forget to pick up some educational materials as well!
Zoos often sell books and DVDs about their animals for those who are interested in learning more after visiting.
3) Make an effort to get up close and personal with the animals that you see. Not only is this fun, but it’s also educational! – Try not to rush your visit; there’s no need to see everything in one day.
Zoos are a great place to relax and spend some time outdoors. – If you’re feeling tired, take a break and enjoy a cup of coffee or a snack from the zoo’s concession stand. This is a great way to recharge your batteries.
4) If traveling with children, make sure you have a firm grasp on how much time they can spend in each exhibit before heading out so everyone has an enjoyable experience.
5) Make your visit more interesting by downloading one of the many zoo apps available. These often include information about the animals, their habitats, and more.
6) Many zoos have gift shops where you can purchase unique souvenirs to commemorate your visit. Be sure to check ahead of time if a gift shop is available at the zoo that you plan on visiting.
7) Zoos offer behind-the-scenes tours and lectures for those who are interested in learning more about what it takes to care for the animals.
8) If you’re feeling extra adventurous, why not try out one of the zoo’s animal encounters?
9) Take advantage of any special offers or discounts. Many zoos run promotions such as free admission for children under a certain age so be sure to check before heading out.
What to Wear when Going to The Zoo?
Wear comfortable clothes and shoes that you don’t mind getting dirty. Most zoos have a lot of outdoor walking involved, so you’ll want to be prepared. Make sure to also bring sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, and water bottles!
If you’re planning on visiting an urban zoo, one of the first things you should consider is what to wear. We recommend that you dress according to the weather and be prepared for rain or shine.
Many zoos are situated in public parks and make it a point to protect their animals from visitors bringing outside food and drinks (which can potentially poison the animals).
What Time of Year is the Best Time to Visit The Zoo?
The best time of year to visit most zoos is during the spring and summer months when the weather is nicer. However, some zoos, like the San Diego Zoo, are open all year round!
How Much Does it Cost to Visit The Zoo?
Prices for zoo admission vary depending on the zoo you’re visiting. Generally speaking, prices range from $15-$40 per person. However, there are often discounts available for seniors, children, and military members.
What is the Best Way to Get to The Zoo?
The best way to get to most zoos is by car. However, if you’re located in a major city like New York or Los Angeles, public transportation options may be available.
Can I Bring My Own Food Into The Zoo?
Many zoos allow visitors to bring in their own food and drinks, while others do not. It’s best to check with your local zoo ahead of time to see what their policy is. If you’re allowed to bring in your own food, it can be a great way to save money!
Can I Bring My Pet to The Zoo?
If you have a pet, there’s no reason why they can’t join in on your family day at the zoo. However, most zoos do not allow pets inside their gates with the exception of service animals and miniature horses. Make sure to double-check before bringing Fido with you.
What is There to Do at The Zoo?
Most zoos now offer a variety of activities that will keep you and your family entertained for hours on end! Some zoo’s like the San Diego Zoo, even have rides and roller coasters. Check out our list below to see what kind of fun things are available at your local zoo!
- Visit the gift shop
- Take a ride on the zoo train
- See a show at the animal amphitheater
- Walk through the botanical gardens
- Explore the children’s play area
- Feed the animals
What is The Best Way to See The Animals?
The best way to see the animals is to walk around the zoo. Most zoos have a unique layout that offers visitors different views of each animal enclosure or habitat, so be sure to take your time and explore!
What Can I Expect at an Urban Zoo?
Most urban zoos offer similar amenities like traditional zoos with fun activities for kids in addition to special exhibits, gardens, and animal encounters. However, the layout of each zoo can be quite different so it’s always best to check out their website before visiting.
Can I Take Pictures at The Zoo?
Yes! Most zoos allow visitors to take pictures and videos while inside the gates. However, there may be restrictions on using tripods or professional camera equipment. Make sure to double-check with your local zoo ahead of time!